The Development Director of the Friends of VI National Park sent out an email last week regarding the Reef Bay Trail. This is newly updated information on how to gain access to Reef Bay Trail if you are looking to hike with the National Park Service. If you are planning a hike on your own, this won’t affect you, but if you are looking to hike Reef Bay Trail with the National Park Service, the process has changed.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 1/13/12
New Reservation Policy for National Park Service Ranger-led Reef Bay Hike
Friends of Virgin Islands National Park and Virgin Islands National Park announce a change in reservation policy for the National Park Service ranger-led hike to Reef Bay, the premier hiking opportunity in Virgin Islands National Park.
• Reservations and purchase of transportation vouchers for the Reef Bay Hike, led by Virgin Islands National Park Service rangers, will now be done through the Friends of the Park Store on the 1st level of Mongoose Junction. Vouchers may also be purchased by phone at 340-779-8700.
• Vouchers for transportation will need to be purchased at the time of reservation for $30 per hiker.
• The maximum number of hikers on any given trip will be 31. We will maintain a waiting list once hikes are filled up and we will notify those on the list as vacancies occur.
• Vouchers for the Reef Bay Hike will be available on the day of the hike on a space available basis; but this is a very popular activity and advance reservations are highly recommended.
• Enquiries about reservations for the hike at the National Park Service Visitor Center will be directed by counter staff to the Friends of the Park Store.
• The schedule for trips will be as follows:
o January – March: 4 trips/week (Mon, Tue, Thu, & Fri)
o April – July: 3 trips/week (Mon, Tue, & Thu)
o August – October: 2 trips/week (Mon & Thu)
o November – December: 3 trips/week (Mon, Tue, & Thu)
The frequency of trips may be modified by the NPS based on demand or other conditions.
• All details of the trip will remain the same: the taxi to the Reef Bay Trailhead will depart the National Park Visitors Center promptly at 9:30 and return to Cruz Bay by boat by 2:30pm – 3:00 pm.
• Vouchers should be picked up from the Friends of the Park Store in Mongoose Junction, and we encourage pick up in the days prior to the hike. If you must pick up your voucher on the day of the hike, please do so by 9:00 am, when the store opens.
• You must have your vouchers in hand to board the taxi from the NPS Visitor’s Center at 9:30 am, and to present to the boat crew at Reef Bay.
• Cancellation policies are as follows;
• If the hike is cancelled by the NPS, voucher-holders will receive a full refund or may rebook
the trip at no additional charge
• If a reservation is cancel more than 24 hours before the start of the hike you may rebook the
hike at no additional charge, or receive a full refund
• There are no refunds for ‘no-shows” or elective cancellations within 24 hours of the trip.
• Call the Friends of the Park Store at 340-779-8700 for last minute questions or to cancel your reservation.
• Vouchers are not transferrable.
Thank you for hiking the Reef Bay Trail with Virgin Islands National Park!
If you haven’t seen my original post from December about my hike, check it out here. If you are thinking about a trip to St. John, I highly encourage trying out Reef Bay Trail. It is definitely worth the sweat, tears, and the trip.